17 December 2008

Well that explains a little bit




























In the "you have to be kidding me" department, I recently discovered that the area below the bay window was absolutely un-covered and basically opened to the elements (pic far right top). Sure explains a little in terms of why it is always so cold on the tiles in the bay window.

So having studied a little at the K. Krauss school of "Doing it Right," I pulled out the old insulation, put two new layers of insulation in, re-sealed the basement gap vent with close fitting foam and then super-foam gunk (which is insanely sticky, and I managed to get on my cheek and wrist without knowing it. BTW it was 18 degrees out) and then cut two boards of Hardi-plank left over from the garage siding project to cover everything up. It was not to fun a program, lying on the ground and nailing up with just a little bit of room to work. Also, not sure if I mentioned this, but it was 18 degrees out.*

But the results, even though I have yet to do a final seal of caulk and need yet to cover--see previous English Major references--a one inch strip that is in the middle of the two planks that I cut, were pretty much immediately felt.

*also worth mentioning that I did this on a Sunday. The following Sunday was 47 degrees.

1 comment:

Marita Topmiller said...

Oh my gosh, Matt, your story about the insulation totally cracked me up - maybe not the best response since I sold you the home. We didn't see anything about the lack of insulation there on the inspection report did we? Well, I am going to read more.